A plaque commemorating the Township of Charlottenburgh stands north of John Street, east of Bethune Street, in Williamstown, Ontario.
TOWNSHIP OF CHARLOTTENBURGH
In 1784 the settlement of Royal Township no. 1, later named Charlottenbugh for Queen Charlotte, wife of King George III, began with the arrival of followers of Sir John Johnson from the Mohawk Valley, many of whom had served in the King's Royal Regiment. These United Empire Loyalists were soon joined by Gaelic-speaking kinsmen from the Western Highlands of Scotland. In later years the community became a more diverse society wtih newcomers from both provinces and countries. The front of the Township on the north shore of the St. Lawrence extended from the mouth of the River aux Raisins to the Indian Lands on its western boundary. On January 1, 1998 Charlottenburgh united with the Village of Lancaster and the Township of Lancaster to form the Township of South Glengarry.