In St. Andrews West, Ontario, north of Cornwall, on the southwest corner of County Road 18 and St. Andrews Road beside St. Andrew's church stands a plaque commemorating Captain Miles Macdonell.
CAPTAIN MILES MACDONELL
Born in Scotland about 1769, Miles emigrated with his father 'Spanish' John, and other members of the family to New York, 1773. Following the Revolution, they settled near Cornwall at St. Andrews West. In 1811-12 he became Lord Selkirk's agent, and led the first band of settlers to the Red River colony. The Nor'Westers endeavoured to destroy the settlement, and arrested Macdonell on a false charge in 1815. Released without trial, he returned to his farm in Osnabruck township, but later moved to his brother's residence at Point Fortune, where he died in 1828.
Erected by the Ontario Archaeological and Historic Sites Board.