A plaque commemorating Eastern Ontario's first court house and gaol, stands in Millennium Park on the northeast corner of County Road 16 and County Road 2 in Johnstown, Ontario. Visitors will find the plaque in the park at the western edge of Caroline's Garden.
Eastern Ontario's first Court House and Gaol was constructed on the waterfront south of this site between 1795 and 1797. The complex included a chamber for the District Court on the upper floor as well as cells and a room for the jailer on the lower level. Later a pillory and stocks were erected next to the Court House. The entire area was enclosed with a picket fence constructed with cedar posts eight feet high. In 1810 the Court and Gaol were moved to new facilities in Brockville, despite the vehement protest of the Johnstown citizens. The structure later served as a place of public worship and as a barracks and gaol during the War of 1812. It fell into a state of disrepair and eventually burned to the ground in 1875.
ERECTED BY THE GRENVILLE COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY
WITH THE ASSISTANCE OF THE ONTARIO HERITAGE FOUNDATION
AND SOUTH EDWARDSBURGH RECREATION ASSOCIATION