The plaque commemorating Prescott's founder, Colonel Edward Jessup, stands on the site of Fort Wellington north of King Street East between Vankoughnet Street and Russel Street in Prescott, Ontario.
COL. EDWARD JESSUP 1735-1816
Born in Stamford, Connecticut, he foreited 500,000 acres near Albany, New York, by taking up arms for the King on the outbreak of the American Revolution. He raised the Loyal (Jessup's) Rangers and served under Burgoyne. This corps was disbanded at the end of the war, its members settling in the present Leeds and Grenville Counties, and on the Bay of Quinte. In return for his services, Jessup received extensive lands from the Crown. In 1810 a townsite was surveyed on this grant which he named after Robert Prescott, Governor-in-chief of Canada, 1797-1807.
Erected by the Ontario Archaeological and Historic Sites Board.