In Almonte just south of the Mississippi River and west of Bridge Street stands the plaque about the founding of Almonte.
|THE FOUNDING OF ALMONTE|
The sawmill and grist-mill completed here on the Mississippi
River in 1823 by Daniel Shipman provided the nucleus around
which a community known as Shipman's Mills had developed by
1824. About 1850 two town plots were laid out here-"Victoria"
by Edward Mitcheson and "Ramsayville" by Daniel Shipman.
They were combined in 1853 as "Waterford", which in 1855
was renamed "Almonte", probably after Juan N. Almonte, a famous
Mexican general and diplomat. The opening of several woollen
mills and the completion of a railway to Brockville fostered
the growth of Almonte, which by 1870 was one of Ontario's
leading woollen cloth manufacturing centres. Incorporated as a
village in 1871, with a population of about 2000, Almonte
was proclaimed a town in 1880.
Erected by the Archaeological and Historic Sites Board,
Department of Public Records and Archives of Ontario