ST. ANDREW'S CHURCH 1812
Following the organization of a Presbyterian congretation in 1787, a log church was erected here and replaced in 1806 by a stone structure. The present church was begun in 1812. Its bell was presented in 1806 by Sir Alexander Mackenzie, the great western explorer, and its communion service in 1820 by friends in Scotland. The first allotment of pews was made by lot on February 23, 1818, after special places had been reserved for the minister's family, Mackenzie and other partners of the North West Company. Between 1787 and 1958 the congregation was served by only six ministers.
Erected by the Ontario Archaeological and Historic Sites Board.
1784 - 1984
With the erection of this plaqwue, we designate this Church and Cemetery of St. Andrew's as LOYALIST, also as a memorial celebrating the Bi-Centennial of the arrival of the United Empire Loyalists in this Country and to honour all the mesn, women and children who helped build and preserve this Heritage.
This plaque is donated by Herman O. Cote, Sr., and family of Cornwall, in memory of a wife and mother, Laurel Dingwall for the Dingwalls of Glengarry who were United Empire Loyalists and their descendents.
Erected by the Glengarry Genealogical Society as part of their Bi-Centennial project.
|ST. ANDREW'S CHURCH|
TREAD SOFTLY, STRANGER
REVERENTLY DRAW NEAR.
THE VANGUARD OF A
NATION SLUMBERS HERE.