A plaque commemorating the founding of Merrickville stands on the north side of Main Street East, west of St. Lawrence Street and just west of the Farm Shop and Tea Room.
|FOUNDING OF MERRICKVILLE|
In 1793 William Merrick (1760-1844), a Loyalist from
Massachusetts, acquired from Roger Stevens a sawmill at
the "Great Falls" on the Rideau River. Here he built new
mills which formed the nucleus of a small community that
grew up before 1816 and was known as "Merrick's Mills".
The establishment of new settlements on the Rideau and
the building of the canal, 1826-32, stimulated the growth
of the village. Streets were laid out and a post office
named "Merrickville" was opened in 1829. By 1850 the
community contained about 700 persons, two flour mills,
a cloth factory and other industries, and was incorporated
as a village in 1860.
Archaeological and Historic Sites Board of Ontario.