In Prescott, Ontario on the east side of East Street just north of Henry Street East, stands a building that in the 1800s functioned as a hospital for the nearby Fort Wellington.
FORT WELLINGTON HOSPITAL
1840 — 1854
This frame structure was originally constructed c.1823 as a commisariat house for the Fort Wellington garrison. From 1840—1854, the building served as a military hospital; mainly serving the local garrison of the Royal Canadian Rifle Regiment. The hospital contained three wards accommodating a total of sixteen patients. The building also housed a surgery, a room for the hospital sergeant, a kitchen, and a storeroom.
THE GRENVILLE COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY