In Prescott on the east side of East Street just north of Henry Street East stands a residence that from 1840 to 1854 served as a hospital for Fort Wellington.
FORT WELLINGTON HOSPITAL
1840 - 1854
This frame structure was originally constructed c.1823 as a commissariat house for the Fort Wellington Garrison. From 1840-1854, the building served as a military hospital; mainly serving the local garrison of the Royal Canadian Rifle Regiment. The hospital contained three wards accommodating a total of sixteen patients. The building also housed a surgery, a room for the hospital sergeant, a kitchen, and a storeroom.
THE GRENVILLE COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY